Candle Burning Precautions
The items listed below are some precautions that should be observed when burning candles. Contact your local fire department or governmental agency for further information on candle burning safety.
DO NOT BURN CANDLES WHILE UNDER THE INFLUNCE OF ANY SUBSTANCE WHICH MAY ALTER YOUR PRECEPTIONS OR REACTIONS INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: ALCOHOL, PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION, NARCOTICS, ILLEGAL/ILLICIT SUBSTANCES.
- NEVER leave burning candles unattended
- Candle burning should always be supervised by an adult
- Always snuff out candles before leaving the room
- Keep burning candles out of reach of children, animals and any flammable material
- Candles should be burned on a heat resistant surface
- Candles can drip wax which can harm furniture
- Candles should be burned within a glass chimney whenever possible
- Avoid blowing out candle flames as wax splatter may result
- Always have a fire extinguisher nearby
- Keep all combustible material at least 1 foot away from open flames
- Candles should only be burned on a flat and steady surface
- If you spill candle wax on your hand, immediately run it under cool water. Do not try to rub the wax off until it has been cooled under water as it will increase the spread of wax and as a result increase the burned area.
- Keep burning candles away from drafts
- If the candle flame becomes too high or smoky then extinguish the candle and allow it to completely cool and solidify. Trim the wick.
- Candlewicks should be trimmed to ¼ inch (6mm) between burnings. Only trim the wick when the candle is completely cooled.
- Candles should be burned in well ventilated rooms
- Candle flame should be a minimum of 12 inches from any flammable surface
- Matches and lighters should be kept outside the reach of children
- If you have children, teach them how to burn candles responsibly and only during adult supervision
- If, while burning a candle, you find it difficult to breathe immediately move to a fresh ventilated area until you can breathe normally again. As soon as possible after recovering, extinguish the candle or call for assistance.
Disclaimer: This list of precautions is not all-inclusive. For further information contact your local fire department or other governmental office for more candles burning safety tips. Mystical Treasures Emporium and its owner(s) cannot be held responsible for any damage or harm resulting in improper burning of candles.